Saturday, November 24, 2007

Winter birds

My yard is plagued with squirrels that can contort themselves in a million different ways to get at food. But a few years ago I did invest in a squirrel-proof feeder and hung it in the branches of my lilac tree just outside my dining room's bay window. I filled it up this weekend for the first time this winter, and have been enjoying the return of the bird activity. This morning there's about 20 sparrows taking turns at the feeder (some polite, some not). They perch in the branches of the lilac tree but are actually hard to see because they blend in so well with the twigs and leaves. Instead the tree is full of movement as they bustle around.
I'm blessed with two pair of cardinals who also come feed in the morning and just before sunset. The male seems to give the female preference for eating which is quite gentlemanly, I think. I'm suspecting that I may have a pair of juncos nesting under my deck. I don't spot them often but I did catch them hopping in and out of the deck fencing the other day. If it's true, I'm delighted. Their grey feathers are so beautiful contrasting with their white bellies. The Cornell Lab of Ornithology says that their conservation status is "common" but I think that they're anything but.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love watching birds go about their daily business, I've never seen a cardinal but I bet they are beautiful, and gentlemanly too! Our cockerel, Ducky, always feeds his ladies first, he takes the food from my hand and then passes it to them, beak to beak, what a man :)