Thursday, September 20, 2007

Book arts supply sale - Sept. 29 (and other tidbits)


I've moved the studio sale back a week...to Saturday, Sept. 29. Moving my paper from their cardboard portfolios into the flat files made me realize just how much paper I had (too much!) I've also grown enough in my book arts work to know which paper I like to work with and which I can let go. So I'm selling a huge (and I mean, really large!) number of sheets a week from Saturday at my alley sale. And once I got going on the paper purge, I started going through everything else. There will be vintage rubber stamps, bags of buttons, cards of ribbons, fat quarters of fabric and all sorts of other fun things. If you're in my address book, I'll be sending you a note with details. If not, leave a comment here with your email if you'd like my address or directions. I'll be posting a few pictures in the next week of items for sale, as well.
I always thought that crocheting/knitting was a fall or winter pleasure. But yesterday I took my scarf (now the size of two potholders laid end-to-end) out on the porch and found out what a pleasure it is to work the yarn in what is officially still summer. I have two other knit projects in mind (both fairly simple), but I won't pick up materials until the scarf is done. I really love how it feels to work on it in the last hours of the day...somehow a bridge between active creative work and vegging on the couch.

It's really a no-lose decision: tickets to hear Bruce Springsteen for the first time ever or another class with Hedi Kyle. Despite the number of times I've worked with Hedi (for awhile I think she was afraid I was stalking her), she's such a remarkable person that you're newly inspired just having coffee with her. Taking a class is like dipping into a treasure chest. On the other hand, hearing Springsteen live is on my life list (if I had one). Sadly, they are both on the same dates in different cities.
But I have decided to let fate take a hand. Tickets for Bruce go on sale tomorrow morning and we're going to try. If we get them, I'll go hear him. If not, I'm already signed up for Hedi's class.

UPDATE: We got terrific seats to the Springsteen concert (thank you, Kate!).

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh how I wish I live near your alley! I would be there with a huge van buying all your lovely paper and stamps and fabric...

And that class with Heidi Kyle! Lets just say i'm very jelous indeed (and if you get the Springsteen tickets then I'll really wish I did live near you so I could beg you to let me go to the class instead!)

x

Riverlark said...

Oh, Sarah, if we lived nearby each other, I'd invite you over this week and you could pick out whatever you'd like!
I had a house sale last spring and the best part was seeing items going to people who loved them.
The H. Kyle class is in NY...maybe just hop a plane over the pond?

Eero said...

You know, I gotta vote for Springsteen. Heidi Kyle inspires, you know that---but so does Bruce! You've already taken classes from H.K., but it sounds like you've never seen Bruce live. It sounds like the book class will come around again, but will the concert? Think in terms of opportunity....

But hey---you'll get inspiration either way, so worries.

Wish I could make your sale----vintage rubber stamps!!!

Clara said...

Just looking at your stash makes my heart go pitty-pat. The sale is a great idea. Good luck!

Faye said...

I'm enjoying your blog. Would appreciate information re: your studio sale - location, times, etc.
Thanks -

Riverlark said...

Faye, if you leave your email for me, I can send you the details that way. I won't be posting my address on my blog.

Faye said...

Oops - sorry about not leaving my email (I'm new to this Google account!). Thanks for sending info:

daya@bethel.edu