A friend who lives in Wisconsin came over the other day to browse the wares for Saturday's sale. They're not currently crafters or artists, but she did purchase 4 or 5 sheets of Chiyogami from me for her teen-age daughter who loves all things Japanese.The next morning she called to say "What should we do with this? We can't keep it out on the dining room table forever."
A good question. I have kept newly purchased paper out on the table for weeks at a time just because it's so beautiful. But I understand with a family, it's tough to keep the breakfast jam away from the Washi.
A number of years ago I was lucky enough to have a business trip that took me to Toronto, the home of the Japanese Paper Place. Owner Nancy Jacobi has spent much of her life devoted to understanding and promoting the craft of Japanese paper. (If you ever have a chance to hear her speak, please don't miss it!) She spends time every year traveling to Japan, meeting with the families and communities that make paper. Because the use for paper in Japan is dwindling, she has now made it her mission to promote the use of this paper in Canada and the U.S. She has even brought over young Japanese paper makers to this continent to meet with artists and has inspired new collaborations for the 21st century. (I find this kind of thinking very productive, instead of the usual "why is this art dying" kind of monologues.) If you visit the company's web site, they have a page devoted to using Washi and other papers and another for workshops. It's a terrific resource. (And I just noticed that they're hosting a World of Washi in June. I can't wait to learn more about that!)
At the store itself I was really taken with the beautiful way that they displayed their papers. Besides the usual paper ladders and flat shelves, they had a number of sheets floating from wooden dowels. When I asked about them, they took one down and showed me the construction. They're very simple to make yourself. Simply cut a dowel in half lengthwise and attach flat magnets or magnet sheeting to both of the interior sides. The sheet can be "sandwiched" in between the magnets without any damage to the paper and used again when you're ready. Or you can change out the sheets whenever you'd like to admire a different paper. I'm lucky to have a friend who is skilled in woodworking and has a strong Japanese sensibility. He made the examples you see here.
One more tip: Be sure that your holes for the thread hangers are spaced wide enough apart to allow the width of the paper in between them.
1 comment:
You know, of course, that you're making all of us book arts and paper arts types salivate!
I love the countdown to your sale.
Post a Comment