Saturday, December 1, 2007

World Aids Day with Open Arms of Minnesota



A wonderful organization in town, Open Arms of Minnesota, commemorates World Aids Day each year with a special sale of Monkey Biz products. Open Arms started as a way to serve people suffering from AIDS, but now has expanded to include anyone living with HIV/AIDS, going through treatment or surgery for cancer, or living with other chronic illnesses such as MS and ALS.
I picked up one of the charming beaded animals from Monkey Biz a few years ago, but I have never been able to attend the sale until today. I had heard that it drew quite a crowd, so I got there about an hour early. I had a notebook with me in case it was quiet but Open Arms knows a party when they see one and they kept us entertained for the entire hour before the doors opened. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen such a group of joyful people. They first came down our line with a beaded angel for each of us. Then they passed out muffins and fruit from Whole Foods, copies of a local magazine with an article on Open Arms and just chatted up the crowd.
At 10, we picked up shopping baskets and walked into a mind-boggling display of the most imaginative animals ever created. The penguins were a big draw but there were pigs, chickens and 4-legged animals of every color and size. The Open Arms staff was visible everywhere in their distinctive red aprons and were ready to offer their enthusiastic opinions (they loved 'em all!) or put one back if your basket became too full in relationship to your budget.
And Ms. Eunice Mlotywa from Cape Town, South Africa was there as well to demonstrate the art of beading these creatures.
I think I must have been thanked about 7 times as I was leaving (I didn't buy that much!)...as I said, these were joyful people.

1 comment:

xtimmyx said...

Glad you liked the muffins, fruit and art!
...and you totally got my good side...