Friday, January 25, 2008

Cardinals for luck

I think that there are two pair of cardinals who visit my feeder, so it's really not surprising that I usually see one during the day, but I always consider it a sign of good luck when I spot one. Especially on gray Minnesota days like today, the red feathers of the male brighten up the branches outside my window. They seem especially loyal to their mates: if you see one, usually the other is close by.
I was able to take some pictures today of the male and wondering where his partner was. Turns out she was just inches away but had completely blended in with her perch. If they look a little fatter than usual, it's not from my good food. They puff themselves up to stay warm. Sort of like the way we look in our down jackets right now in Minnesota.

1 comment:

Eero said...

Cardinals! I'd like to see one someday. We're seeing magpies living year-round here for the very first time. Another sign of Global warming?

Thanks for looking at my website. I tried to make it very comprehensive and professional.