Wednesday, February 6, 2008

JFK

My literacy class was talking about presidents on coins yesterday. (I had to laugh to myself when they thought Clinton was on a coin. No matter which Clinton they were referring to, it's unlikely that that will ever happen.) When they got to the 50-cent piece, we started talking about John F Kennedy. Without giving away my age, let's just say I'm old enough to remember his assassination and funeral. However, the class teacher was telling our group that her mother remembers when he was shot and how horrible that was. I think my mouth must have gaped for a moment as I realized how old I really am. I spend so much time with people of all ages that I forget we have different memories.
And speaking of literacy, have you ever tried to teach anyone to tell time using a clock face? Try explaining why 15 minutes after the hour has the long hand pointing to a 3.

1 comment:

Clara said...

I understand your shock when the person in your class spoke about her mother remembering JFK's assassination. This happens to me regularly when I see a photo of a musician or actor with whom I "grew up." I always think: Gee, he/she's so old! It's always a little bit of a shock to realize that, yes, I'm old[er] too. Sigh.