I've always been drawn to book work that uses nontraditional materials to tell a story, and particularly when I'm invited into the work to do my own explorations. The centerpiece of this exhibit is the cabinet/collaboration Hand-to-Hand.
54 artists were invited to take a drawer and create a visual narrative on the them of "hands." Each drawer is labeled with the title and you can gently open it yourself to reveal what is inside. If a drawer has a metal hand on the outside, you can actually manipulate the contents yourself.
Nora McGillvray's drawer with the text, "A book should be a ball of light in one's hand."
A drawer with Kathleen Richert's On the One Hand (closed)
and open....the plexiglass hands slide to create different visual pages.
Alice Austin's Red, Yellow and Blue is a wall installation made up of 49 prints of the same book.There are 14 works throughout the center. It was only when I got home that I realized that I had missed two that are in the lower level press area and one that was in the paper studio. The exhibition runs through the end of April, which gives me time to go hunt the missed works out as well as to explore more of the drawers in Hand-to-Hand.

1 comment:
RL, these pieces are so exciting. I'd love to see the entire exhibit. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Post a Comment