I've read enough and know enough artists to know that working alone for long periods of time can make you crazy. But I don't think you really know what it's like until you actually experience it. In the course of one day I go from wildly optimistic to thinking that everything I'm making is junk. In between, there are moments of high-paced gluing and skipping over important steps with poor results just hours away. But there's also moments of being in "flow" that are marvelous: when the rice paste is flowing nicely and the chiyogami wraps just right around a new box.
I'm an experiential learner, which means I like to learn while I'm doing. That's great, as long as you give yourself time or mental room to make mistakes. With Craftstravagnza, I've done neither and it's beginning to take the fun out of it all. And I really don't want the fun drained out of this work! I often take notes about new projects as I work. Last night I wrote: Start earlier and you'll enjoy it more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Your note is so true! I often have the same thought as I rush through something at midnight, needing to be done by the next day... but then I wonder if I work better under pressure... :)
Ps im sure your boxes will be beautiful none the less x
I work best with a deadline, but also with extremely detailed plans---which is pretty much anti-spontaneous.
Still---isn't enormous production wonderful?
I spend A LOT of time alone in the studio working. The more I do this, the more I sense my social skills are deteriorating.
Post a Comment