Friday, June 20, 2008

Changing Spaces


Book studio, Penland


The hike up to Northlight

For the next two weeks, this will be my home. Up on a hill in a building called Northlight is the book arts studio at Penland. The room to the right (with all of the windows) is the old print studio and I have some dreams about being able to spread out our work into that space if it's still unused (there is a gorgeous new print studio down the hill now). Our studio is lovely, tucked under the trees, it stays cool all day and there is a good breeze generally through our windows along the other side. But work space is a bit tight. Working at home, I like to have a cutting area and a gluing area, and there isn't much room for that in the Penland studio.
Why am I fretting about this? I'm not fretting really, but I do love to create my own "nest" in a space. I'm pretty flexible and can adapt to almost anything (someday I will post about my traumatic adventure in Utah for book making in the mountains...in the cold...and the snow...without heat). But it's part of the anticipation for me to think about how my little space will be set up.


2004 studio storage

I'm actually dealing with a little bit of homesickness (already!). I do love Minnesota in June. My peonies are full blown and the air is rich with the scent of them. We've had our first days in the mid-80's when a sleeveless top feels amazing. This month has been full of new efforts for me: first grant review panel, first class teaching box-making, and some interesting new directions in my job search. It will all be waiting for me when I get back.


My favorite iconic shot of Penland.

PS I'm quite sure I'll be blogging from Penland, if only to take a break from all of that box-making!


1 comment:

Eero said...

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures at P'land this year. I'll live vicariously... :)