So why am I illustrating this blog post with a restroom door? It's a photo from the current Penland page and an example of why I love the place so. Here's the description from the site:
So, two weeks ago, this was a bright white metal door, which looked a bit out of place surrounded by the weathered siding of the old barn that houses our resident artist studios. Then, we had this class is in decorative painting, and the instructor, Bob Nulf, and one of his students, Cary Bevers, made it look like it had always been there. It's amazing what a coat of paint will do. (It really is a metal door.)
Being at Penland is like being on a scavenger hunt. As you walk a new trail or turn a corner, you're bound to find something that someone has added to the landscape, hung on a wall or hammered into a spoon.
The last time I was there, we were talking about this phenomenon in our studio and one colleague said that there was a hammer nailed to the rafter in the ceiling of the Northlight auditorium. (She had observed it while taking movement classes every morning in the space.) That seemed a little unusual even for Penland so we all trouped up to check it out...it turned to be just an electrical connector for the projector. We had a great laugh, but it also says something about how Penland inspires you to see...and use...materials in different ways.




1 comment:
I remember that micah scaled tree! So many nifty things to see there.
I remember there was a brilliant orange fungus growing on a tree stump outside the ceramics studio---I took pictures of it because at Penland, it looked like a puffy little sculpture.
So jealous....sigh.
Maybe next year!
Post a Comment