Wednesday, June 20, 2007

This is what strawberries should look like

I made my mother's strawberry pie this past weekend and it turned out well, except that the grocery store strawberries I used are grown to a huge size and lose all their sweetness. June is strawberry month in Minnesota so I found some home-grown ones yesterday (with the same approximate price of 14k gold) and made another pie. The difference was amazing. Some berries were the size of the tip of my little finger but so incredibly sweet, I popped them into my mouth instead of the pie! As I was making the sauce for the pie, I thought "this is what they mean by the color 'strawberry.'"
My friend JJ from CA was in town and came for dinner (he had 2 pieces of the pie) and we celebrated the start of summer by eating out on the porch. My house is small (916 sq ft) but I'm blessed with a porch that is 20' x 7'....big enough for comfy chairs and a table that can fold out to seat 6. I remember coming to see the house when it was on the market and I walked into the porch and thought "I have to have this." It's pretty much where I live from May through Sept (and even October if I wear enough layers). Bella loves it too.

4 comments:

Clara said...

As someone who doesn't cook or bake, I am particularly appreciative of others' accomplishments in this arena. These strawberries look fabulous, and your pie sounds even better!

Riverlark said...

Thanks, BG. I've finally decided that I really don't like cooking, but I LOVE making desserts. We had a rotisserie chicken and salad for dinner, but the big finish (the pie) made it all a hit.

Anonymous said...

Bella's so cute! And that's coming from a cat person!

Anonymous said...

p.s. The "i" in Riverlark in your blog heading is capitalized. Not sure if it's supposed to be like that...