I fell in love with these felted beads at a bead store last month. I couldn't resist them, even though they had an outrageous price. I bought 10, thinking "I'll keep them as a sample and learn to make my own."About the same time, I found instructions for the beads on the web, bookmarked it and promised I wouldn't buy the roving until I was ready to try rolling the beads. Since the final details of the sale are now complete (I just sold my fabric stash on Craig's List), last night I went to my new favorite store, Crafty Planet, and picked out just a few packets of roving. This morning I set up the kitchen: bowl of warm water, ivory soap and the printed instructions. I went through the packet of lavender wool and despite trying many different ways of rolling a ball of dry roving before soaking it never got much better than this.
No matter how softly I made my ball of wool, once it got wet it rolled into a kind of tight comma, or "baby butt." I decided that there was probably more than one set of instructions on the internet and read through a few more. This one worked very nicely and I got these lovely little sky-blue beads.
What am I going to do with them? I have several ideas, one of which I hope to share in a week or two. In the meantime, now that I've mastered the technique, I'm going back to make more.
1 comment:
Ooooooh, very nice, RL. You are getting craftier by the minute. And you've inspired me to check out Craig's List more regularly.
Post a Comment