
Funny, for me that phrase used to mean going into a studio (audio) and working to pull a program together for a deadline. Today, it means going into my studio (art) and working to pull some boxes and books together for a deadline. Two weeks ago I decided to reserve a table for my work at
MCBA's Book Arts Festival and Sale held at their space in mid-November. With perhaps a little too much confidence, I decided that I could create enough items to sell at the sale. Why do this, when I haven't been creating things for sale previously? I think I enjoyed my
craft supply sale so much that I decided it would be fun to try selling my own work. It was great to see how my efforts to promote that sale paid off and how people responded to the ways I displayed the craft supply items for sale. And I'd love to get some feedback from the public that comes to the MCBA sale.

So I'm now in serious production mode: the dining room table has been cleared ...one side has a large cutting mat laid out, the other has a gluing station set up. I have to admit that I've been really enjoying this work. You learn so much about efficiency and technique when you're doing the same box or book over and over again. And this may sound strange, but I've loved using my tools again. A teflon bone folder is just the thing for smoothing wrinkles out of paper on the inside of a box. And the really large cutting mat I bought last year is a godsend when you're cutting small pieces out of a large sheet of paper. One of the most inexpensive tools I picked up a few years ago was several pieces of brass "keystock." You can find the material at any hardware or hobby store in many different widths. I love the 1/2" for quickly determining the margin or pastedowns that I need when I'm covering a box....no ruler needed! As I was using mine today on some small interior work on a box, I kept stabbing myself in my chest with the end of the keystock (it's 12" long). In a moment of frustration, I thought "I wish this was just a few inches long!" And thus inspiration hit. My brother, who has all the tools in the universe, was able to cut the keystock down for me and now I have a lovely little straight edge just right for me!

Here's what I'm working on this weekend. A few years ago I designed a business card box and made a series of them for friends. I've gone back to that design and am building a number of them for the sale. I hope to get to some additional boxes and books as well and maybe a little bowl of
felted beads for fun.

1 comment:
These are lovely, RL. I'm already starting to feel nostalgic for all this, since I'll need to be buckling down to my "other life" project for the next few months. But, good news for the artful life: I have a class with Dan Essig this weekend that I signed up for months ago.
Would love to see more pix of what you produce for your sale.
Post a Comment