What that meant for our autumnal parade of trees was minimal color (the trees need moisture all summer to produce their fall brilliance) with a trade-off of longer than normal "hang time" for the leaves. That is, no one has been raking much yet.
We had our first real freeze last night...approximately 20 days later than normal...and I walked outside this morning to hear an unusual sound. I stood under a maple tree and watched the tree release all of the yellow leaves that it had been hanging onto until the cold came. I was literally in the midst of a shower of gold. And the sound? Up and down the street was the gentle dry whisper of all of our neighborhood trees letting go.
1 comment:
What a wonderful experience that must have been, RL, seeing the tree shed its leaves. We've been suffering from a severe drought as well, but it's not holding autumn's colors back; it's just delayed them.
Post a Comment