Wednesday, July 18, 2007

An A-mazing Garden!

My niece and nephew (10 and 12) are coming for a visit in two weeks and it's sort of a big deal--the first time they'll come on their own without their parents and younger sister. This is a huge treat for me and I hope for them, so I'm scouting out some fun and unusual activities in the Twin Cities. At their request, we'll go see the Mn Twins vs the KC Royals and spend a day at ValleyFair (so you know how much I love them!). But I'm the weird Aunt in their life (arty, urban and single) and I feel a responsiblity to show them some things they might not see otherwise.
This afternoon I went out to the Minnesota Arboretum to see their new garden maze. I love installations of art in landscape (Maya Lin is one of my favorites) and the Art-to-Amaze walk is by turns charming, thoughtful and inspiring. We'll definitely be back for this!
This is the Green Grump. Note the ring in his nose and the grass haircut. He even has grass eyebrows.
Wind in the Trees
The walk up to Children's Nest Egg
And the Nest itselfAcorn Aboreal Arch (the acorns are actually bells). If you look closely, you can see Green Thumb in the background.The interior of Pine/ConeThere are 15 installations in total. I'll post more pictures when we're back in two weeks!

2 comments:

Clara said...

This looks so nifty. You're a good aunt to scope it out -- how could they not love it?!

Eero said...

You are going to be the treasured, magical weird Aunt after this visit, if you aren't already! What kid wouldn't be totally enchanted by that nifty garden sculpture!
I remember you talking about their impending visit while at P'land. Have a great time!
E.