I was going through my binder of instructions from previous classes this morning. I found the hand-out from Sarah Langworthy's wonderful coptic binding class last summer which included an adaptation of Daniel Kelm's wire edge binding. She included this description from Daniel himself which is much better than my lackluster effort below:
If you're interested in creating a nontraditional book (e.g., a book with thick pages, or a book that is sculptural), the achievement of your goal may require the use of a material or movement not possible with conventional strutures. Wire edge hinging grew out of just such a challenge. This binding configuration utilizes a thin metal wire along the spine edge of each page. The metal wire is exposed at regular intervals creating knotting stations where thread attaches one page to the next. The result is a binding that opens exceptionally well, and gives you the option of producing unusual shapes. (copyright Daniel E. Kelm)
Friday, August 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sounds like an interesting structure, will have to have a play around with some wire now, see if I can work it out! Thanks Riverlark!
Post a Comment