Saturday, August 4, 2007

Pride

My heart has been up in my throat for the last 3 days, the Mississippi River bridge never far out of my thoughts.
One of my favorite things to do is to drive the River Road. You can make a circuit of it using the various bridges and the East and West roads on each side of the river. The speed limit is just 20 miles/hour, but there are very few stop signs and no matter the season, weather or time of day, it's always a beautiful and for me, a contemplative drive. Last night I found myself on the road and felt pulled to the north to see the bridge. I suspected that I couldn't get close and that turned out to be correct. They have a very wide perimeter blocked off and because the river twists west just before the bridge, it's not possible to get a view. There's a debate going on in some places about the need to see this, whether it's gawking or a true emotional need. As I stood on the river bank last night looking in the direction of the bridge, I decided that for my own self, I would leave the spot alone until all the victims are recovered. For right now, it's sacred ground. But then I do need to witness the remains of the bridge that I drove under at so many different times in my life.
The papers are now talking to the first-responders at the scene and their stories finally bring me to tears. I have always had a strong appreciation for the police and firefighters who never know what their day will bring. After reading their stories this morning I couldn't be more proud to be a part of this city.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

It must be hard to have something so shocking happen so close to home. You have to take each day as it comes I suppose, you never know what the day will bring and I think really this is both a curse and a blessing.

I couldn't find your email anywhere so this comment is also to tell you you were the winner of my giveaway... email me you address and I'll pop it in the post :)

Mousey said...

i'm glad you're ok. some of my close friends were very near the collapse when it happened and are still in shock. btw, this is inkpoisoncandie under a new screen name.